GRANT APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility
LPCF assists families who have children suffering from a congenital heart defect by covering costs incurred from cardiac-related inpatient hospital stays in Baton Rouge, New Orleans and out-of-state hospitals, as well as medically necessary items that are not covered by third party payers, such as home oxygen, pulse ox machines, prescription co-payments, and continuing education such as CPR lessons.
Individual candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Louisiana resident for the prior 12 months (unless under 12 months of age)
- Resident of South Central Louisiana, which includes the following 25 parishes: Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Avoyelles, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Iberia, Iberville, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Pointe Coupee, Rapides, Saint Helena, Saint James, Saint Landry, Saint Martin, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermillion, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana.
- In need of financial support due to expenses incurred as a result of a child with a congenital heart defect
- Referred by a pediatric cardiologist whose primary practice site is in the foundation’s target region, South Central Louisiana
Step 2: Submit a Grant Application
LPCF grant applications are available at the Pediatric Cardiology Associates office, or download by clicking the link below. The application MUST be completed entirely and will not be processed if incomplete. In the event you are applying for assistance related to your child’s surgery or procedure, you must include the date that it has been scheduled. Completed grant applications should be submitted by fax to LPCF at (225) 910-6860 or mailed to the following address:
2137-A Quail Run Dr. Suite A
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Step 3: Grant Processing and Review
Once your completed grant application has been received, it will be processed and reviewed by a board committee. Grants are submitted to the committee on the 1st and 15th of the month. Following review of your grant application, LPCF will contact you to inform you if your family has or has not been selected for a grant. If your family has been selected, a check will be mailed to the address provided on the application. The entire process from submission to receiving a check may take 2-3 weeks. Requests for immediate grant receipt will not be considered.
LPCF GRANT APPLICATION FAQs
Q: What can the grant money be used for?
A: Eligible expenses include:
- Travel to and from cardiac surgical center (Airfare, gas, rental car, etc.)
- Lodging and meals during stay for surgical procedure
- Oxygen and other medically-necessary items not covered by third party payers
- Prescriptions with hefty co-pays
- Telephone costs during surgical stay
- Durable medical equipment not covered by third party payers
- Medical education related to advancing pediatric cardiology care in the target region
Q: What can the grant money NOT be used for?
A: Items not meeting eligibility requirements include:
- Patients with non-cardiac illnesses
- Patients who are not South Central Louisiana residents (see list of parishes above)
- Physician professional fees
- Items covered by third party payers
- Reimbursements of expenses related to pediatric cardiology primary practice sites or satellite clinics
Q: What is an appropriate request amount? Is there a maximum grant size?
A: The requested amount should be based on bills incurred versus the family’s income and ability to pay such bills. The maximum grant amount is $1,000.00.
Q: How many grants can a family apply for?
A: A child can receive up to 2 grants per year at $1,000.00 each. The lifetime maximum amount is $2,500.00 per child.
Q: If our grant is approved, will I receive it before traveling for my child’s surgery?
A: Our goal is to mail out grant checks about a week before the travel date. Grant applications should be submitted at least 2 weeks before the surgery date, if possible.
Q: My baby hasn’t been born yet. If our grant is approved, when can I expect to receive a check?
A: Prenatal requests are processed after the baby is born and just before the surgery date.
Should you have any further questions and/or concerns, please call LPCF at (225) 768-2590 or email Angelle Bourgeois at [email protected]