GRANT APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1: Determine your eligibility
LPCF assists families who have children suffering from a cardiac heart defect by covering costs incurred from inpatient hospital stays in Baton Rouge, New Orleans and out-of-state hospitals, as well as medically necessary items that are not covered by third party payers, such as home oxygen, prescription co-payments, and continuing pediatric cardiology education like CPR lessons.
Individual candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Louisiana resident for the prior 12 months (unless under 12 months of age)
- In need of financial support due to expenses incurred as a result of a child with a congenital heart defect
- Referred by a pediatric cardiologist whose primary practice site is in the foundation’s target region: South Central Louisiana
Step 2: Submit a Grant Application
LPCF grant applications can be picked up from the Pediatric Cardiology Associates office at the time of your child’s appointment. Completed grant applications are to be submitted, by mail, to the following address:
7777 Hennessy Blvd., Suite 103
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Step 3: Grant review and funding determination
Once your completed grant application has been received, it will be processed and reviewed. The review process takes a minimum of 7 days. Following review of your grant application, someone from LPCF will contact you to inform you if your family has or has not been selected for a grant. If your family has been selected, a check will be sent to the address listed on the application. Requests for immediate grant receipt will not be considered – no exceptions!
LPCF GRANT APPLICATION FAQ
Q: What can the grant money be used for?
A: Eligible expenses:
- Travel to and from cardiac surgical center
- Lodging and meals during stay for surgical procedure
- Oxygen and other medically necessary items not covered by third party payors
- Telephone costs during surgical stay
- Durable medical equipment not covered by third party payors
- Medical education related to advancing pediatric cardiology care in the target region
Q: What can the grant money NOT be used for?
A: Items not meeting eligibility requirements:
◦ Patients with non-cardiac illnesses
◦ Patients who are not South Central LA residents
◦ Physician professional fees
◦ Items covered by third party payors
◦ Reimbursements of expenses related to pediatric cardiology primary practice sites or satellite clinics
Q: What happens after a grant application is submitted?
A: Grant applications are reviewed by a committee. Someone from LPCF will contact you within 2 weeks of review to inform you if your family has received a grant or not. Grant checks are mailed out following approval.
Q: What is an appropriate request amount? Is there a maximum grant size?
A: Requested amount should be based on bills incurred versus the family’s income and ability to pay such bills. The maximum a grant can be at this time is $750.00.
Should you have any further questions and/or concerns, please call (225) 768-2590